The University of Mississippi Writing Project
UMWP 2020 Fall Workshop Series for Teachers
Teaching Tolerance Virtual Professional Development Offerings — Detailed Descriptions
September 10, 2020 • Unpacking the Teaching Tolerance Social Justice Standards
Description: This interactive, virtual professional development will introduce participants to the Teaching Tolerance Social Justice Standards. After exploring available resources, participants will leave with an understanding of how to authentically incorporate the social justice standards into their daily practice.
- Objective: Participants will deepen their understanding of the social justice
standards as a way to create and sustain classroom and school environments that honor diversity, equity and justice.
- Topics: The Teaching Tolerance Social Justice Standards and Essential Questions
September 24, 2020 • Speak Up at School
Description:When educators or students witness instances of bias and injustice, they often don’t know what to do. This interactive, virtual professional development will introduce participants to Teaching Tolerance strategies that educators and students can use to speak up instead of remain silent.
- Objective: Participants will learn how to use the four speak up strategies to speak up against bias and injustice.
- Topics: Speak Up At School strategies and scenario practice
October 15, 2020 • Let’s Talk
Description: Using the Let’s Talk guide, this interactive virtual professional development will provide participants the opportunity to learn strategies for creating supportive learning environments that encourage risk-taking. Through engaging in conversations about critical topics such as race, participants will reflect on their own assumptions and biases that can affect their ability to engage in productive conversations.
- Objective: Participants will develop skills and confidence for engaging in and facilitating critical conversations about race and other topics.
- Topics: Let’s Talk guide and key vocabulary
October 29, 2020 Addressing Inequities at School
Description: The coronavirus pandemic has highlighted many inequities that were already there. This interactive professional development asks participants to examine how their own beliefs and practices may lead to inequities in school. After the session, participants will leave with ideas and tools for transforming classrooms.
- Objective: Participants will reflect on personal assumptions and biases and recognize their impact on classroom practice.
- Topics: Common Beliefs Survey and COVID-19