The University of Mississippi Writing Project
2020 Invitational Leadership Institute for Teachers
Dates: April 4 and June 15-26, 2020
Institute Meeting Time: 8:30-3:30 pm
An Invitation for Teachers
Each of the 200 National Writing Project sites holds an invitational leadership institute every summer. Several thousand teachers participate each year in these invitational leadership institutes, and every year new groups of summer fellows at local sites describe their summer institute experience as “a space of critical reflection so essential to good practice,” “causing a noticeable and great shift in all of my teaching,” “the best professional development I have had in all my years of teaching.”
The invitational leadership institute is at the core of the NWP’s model of “teachers teaching teachers.” The institute develops teachers as leaders, teachers as learners, and teachers as writers.
During each institute, teacher participants examine the most pressing issues related to the teaching and learning of writing across the curriculum. Participants demonstrate and reflect on their own best practices and strategies, and they study current research in the field. Our leadership team is dedicated to fostering an interdisciplinary community and support system of teachers from all grade levels and across the curriculum.
The UMWP Invitational Leadership Institute allows teachers to…
- Discover opportunities for instructional leadership
- Discover the latest in literacy pedagogy
- Learn about implementing the Mississippi College and Career Ready Standards and the next generation of assessments
- Develop their own writing lives through participation in writing workshops and response groups
- Earn three semester hours of graduate credit supported by a scholarship from the Division of Outreach
- Join The University of Mississippi Writing Project teacher network
Teachers in all grade levels and all subject areas in north Mississippi schools are eligible to apply for admission to the UMWP Invitational Leadership Institute.
Teachers interested in applying need to complete an application and submit with requested information by February 28, 2020.
For further information call (662) 915-7925.